This position exists to plan, direct and coordinate activities concerned with Construction Materials Testing (CMT) including proposal preparation and reviews, project set-up, report reviews, and other responsibilities as necessary. The work requires a professional knowledge of the principals, methods and techniques of engineering concerned with construction materials testing aspects of projects. The work requires the exercise of onsiderable initiative, independent judgment and discretion with minimum supervision in handling project details, such as budgets, field reports, site evaluation reports, and other project related activities, as well as with conducting business development activities and client maintenance. This position exists to provide oversight for other project managers and technical staff.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Senior Management reserves the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time as needed. Temporary modifications to provide reasonable accommodations for a period of time do not waive any essential functions of the job requirements. The position requires an incumbent to:
• Manage multiple projects, including planning, directing and coordinating project activities.
• Take responsibility and execute oversight for efficient field operations, including managing field technicians assigned to a project for the duration of the project.
• Prepare and/or review all project reports, proposals and letters pertaining to project activities and needs. Ensuring all reports are provided to appropriate personnel and levels of management.
• Train, manage, and review performance of field technicians, assistant project managers, and project managers.
• Review approved construction documents upon project award and prepare summary of specification items included in scope of work to ensure staff is familiar with the requirements and that services will meet building code requirements.
• Take ownership for fiscal success of projects; monitor project costs. Prepare, disseminate and track project invoices.
• Develop and maintain a personal client base.
• Initiate new business leads; prepare scope and estimates for new work; develop proposals.
• Represent the company professionally and technically with Technical, Marketing and Industry groups to maximize the company’s exposure to the Design and Construction Industry.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Competencies)
• Knowledge of Construction Materials Testing, geotechnical practices, such as subsurface exploration, and other relevant processes, procedures, codes and standards.
• Knowledge of general and special construction inspection practices.
• Demonstrated knowledge of project management skills, abilities and best practices.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a thorough knowledge of business English, spelling, arithmetic and vocabulary. Communications must be open and honest in keeping with Building & Earth open communication philosophy.
• Ability to create and maintain accurate and confidential records and data and to prepare easily understandable reports for distribution.
• Ability to organize, coordinate and prioritize tasks and schedules.
• Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, clients and client representatives and the general public with a focus on maintaining a Customer/Client focus at all times.
• Ability to dress, speak and act professionally & appropriately.
• Ability to deal with stressful situations, multiple priorities and hectic schedules calmly and courteously.
• Skilled in the use of computers and common project management and software applications, including ability to learn company specific software applications.
• Ability to work ethically, honestly and safely at all times.
1. Must be able to work, move, or carry objects or materials up to 50 lbs. with or without assistance.
2. Visual/hearing ability sufficient to comprehend written/verbal communications in the English language, including the ability to communicate directly and over the telephone and be understood.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience
• College degree in Engineering or related field
• Maintain industry certifications, such as:
o CTTP, ICC: Concrete; Masonry; Soil Aggregate; Asphalt; Steel; & Welding, ACI Concrete Field
Testing – Grade I, and/or all state required certifications.
• Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft Office or other spreadsheet software
• Minimum of 10 years experience in related field
1. Possession of a valid state of residence driver’s license.
2. Ability to be insured under all applicable Corporation insurance policies.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position.
Travel to and from project sites is expected on a routine basis. Overnight travel may be required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.