This is an entry level position that exists for the purpose of training incumbents to perform field and laboratory testing tasks. The incumbent will be trained under the supervision of a trainer for a period of 90 to 180 days with time divided between the laboratory and the construction site. The position requires an incumbent to learn the flow of the organization, what services are provided and important details of the trade, as well as to understand the company’s role in each project. Tasks include, but are not limited to, sample collection, sample preparation, sample testing, field observations, and documentation of construction activities pertaining to soil, concrete, grout, mortar and asphalt. The position requires the incumbent to clearly identify, verbally communicate, and document test results and activities.
Check out all of our available positions! Our company is continuously growing and our hiring needs constantly change. Please visit our website at www.BuildingAndEarth.com/careers to view all of our open positions. Applying to any open position in your area will get your resume in our system for review. You may contact Christina Gardner at (205) 836-6300 if you have any questions.
• Review specifications for civil and structural plans and identify sections applicable to the scope of work
• Perform tests and observations according to project requirements
• Submit daily field reports to document testing and field observations
• Document and communicate non-conforming items to designated project supervision
• Clean, maintain and calibrate all assigned equipment according to applicable codes and standards
• Learn how to transport, operate and care for a nuclear density gauge as assigned, meeting all safety, care and maintenance guidelines as outlined in the Radiation Safety Program Policy.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Competencies)
• No prior knowledge of testing or field observation is required.
• Ability to create and maintain accurate and confidential test records and to prepare easily understandable reports for documentation.
• Skilled in the use of computers and common software applications.
• Ability to learn company specific software and programs.
• Ability to be trained and to follow directions.
• Ability to communicate effectively.
• Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships.
• Ability to dress, speak & act professionally and appropriately
• Ability to deal with stressful situations, multiple priorities and hectic schedules calmly and courteously.
• Ability to work ethically, honestly and safely at all times.
• Ability to drive a company vehicle and adhere to all company guidelines for operation and safety.
1. Must be able to move, lift or carry objects or materials up to 50 lbs. without assistance.
2. Ability to climb ladders and scaffolding
3. Ability to physically maneuver construction sites and excavations
4. Visual/hearing ability sufficient to comprehend written/verbal communications in the English language, including the ability to communicate directly and over the telephone and be understood.
Minimum Education, Training, Certifications and/or Experience
• High School diploma or equivalent