This position exists for the primary purpose of providing testing observation and construction inspections on assigned field projects according to the applicable specification for independent testing laboratories. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, sample preparation, collection & testing, field observations, general inspections and documentation of construction activities on site pertaining to soil, concrete, grout, mortar and asphalt. The position requires the incumbent to clearly identify, verbally communicate, and document test results and activities.
SIGN-ON BONUS AVAILABLE! As an added incentive, technicians who hold a valid CTTP Soils, Concrete, and Basic aggregate certifications, and have a proven track record and positive reputation in the industry, can earn up to $1,000 as a sign-on bonus for joining our team if chosen.
OTHER POSITIONS AVAILABLE! Our company is continuously growing and our hiring needs constantly change. Please visit our website at www.BuildingAndEarth.com/careers to view all of our open positions. Applying to any open position in your area will get your resume in our system for review. You may contact Christina Gardner at (205) 836-6300 if you have any questions.
• Receive, understand and execute written and verbal directions
• Review specifications for civil and structural plans and identify sections applicable to the scope of work
• Perform tests, general construction inspections and observations according to project requirements with some supervision.
• Submit daily field reports to document testing, inspections and field observations
• Document and communicate non-conforming items to designated project supervision
• Clean, maintain and calibrate all assigned equipment according to applicable codes and standards
• Transport, operate and care for a nuclear density gauge as assigned, meeting all safety, care and maintenance guidelines as outlined in the Radiation Safety Program Policy.
• Understanding of Proctor Compaction Test and USCS Soil Classification.
• Trained & demonstrated competency in One-Point Proctor testing in the field. Must be validated.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Competencies)
• Fundamental knowledge of sample preparation, collection & testing, field observations, and documentation of construction activities.
• Must pass relevant tests and/or achieve valid signatures.
• Ability to create and maintain accurate and confidential test records and to prepare easily understandable reports for documentation.
• Skilled in the use of computers and common software applications.
• Ability to learn company specific software and programs.
• Ability to drive a company vehicle and adhere to all company guidelines for operation and safety.
• Ability to be trained and to follow directions.
• Ability to communicate effectively.
• Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships.
• Ability to dress, speak and act professionally & appropriately.
• Ability to deal with stressful situations, multiple priorities and hectic schedules calmly and courteously.
• Ability to work ethically, honestly and safely at all times.
• Ability to drive a company vehicle and adhere to all company guidelines for operation and safety
1. Must be able to move, lift or carry objects or materials up to 50 lbs. without assistance.
2. Ability to climb ladders and scaffolding
3. Ability to physically maneuver construction sites and excavations
4. Visual/hearing ability sufficient to comprehend written/verbal communications in the English language, including the ability to communicate directly and over the telephone and be understood.
Minimum Education, Training, Certifications and/or Experience
• High School diploma or equivalent
• Minimum 6 months Experience
• ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician Level I Certification
• Portable Nuclear Gauge Safety Training Certification
• Understanding of Proctor Compaction Test and USCS Soil Classification
• Trained & demonstrated competency in One-Point Proctor testing in the field.